Sunday, February 8, 2015

Fingerless Gloves

My new obsession are fingerless gloves.
I fought with myself for several years because I did not want to make fingerless gloves to sell at my vendor events. It seemed as if everyone was selling the fingerless gloves. I wanted to be different and set myself apart from everyone. My vending business was going well. I was making money at every event. My hats and scarves would sell really fast in the winter.
Then one day someone asked if I sold fingerless gloves. I told them I did not. That customer walked away and thought that was the end of that. Five minutes later another customer walked up an asked if I sold fingerless gloves. I could not understand what was going on. Then my daughter, Staci who is a college student and was helping that day, turned around and asked me why I didn't sell fingerless gloves. I explained to her my reasoning about being set apart from the rest. Staci looked at me and said "mom, you are set apart from the rest, at least at this event. No one is selling fingerless gloves and we are at a college event. College students like to wear fingerless gloves, including me".
Wow, my daughter just educated me. She is a student at The University of Delaware. We live very close to campus and I participate in their events often. The college student really like my designs and buy from me often.
That day I decided to make a few fingerless gloves to sell. I believe I made around 8 pair. I sold out of the gloves at the very next event I participated in.
I learned that day, that it is okay to make similar items as other designers.  The key is to put my own stamp on my designs.
That was one year ago. I have been making fingerless gloves like crazy. To date they are my biggest sellers. I have never looked back.
Don't be afraid to step out of your box and be the best you that you can be.
I wish you much success in life and business.
Please leave comments. I would love to hear from you.





Stop by my shop to see many more designs. https://shop.surprise-designs.com

1 comment:

  1. These are adorable! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete